Author Interview with Ryan Hill

9:08 AM


Barking Madness by Ryan Hill

Publication  Date: August 18, 2015 from Pulse Publishing
Page count: 488
Trailer Link: Here
GoodReads Link: Here

Synopsis:

"Seventeen-year-old Rosetta Harper is plagued by nightmares of a masked man. With her father’s new career move, her family has just relocated from Florida, to the small New England town of Ashwood, a quiet town and close-knit community where you know your neighbors, and trouble is a word unspoken. But soon after her arrival, both Rosetta's world and the worlds of her classmates come crashing down. 

Michael hates his family and feels alone and unloved. He only finds comfort when he’s with his friends, but even they get on his nerves. Everything about Ashwood and his life bores him, until Rosetta Harper moves into town. With her as a new classmate, Michael finally gets the excitement he was looking for, but it may be at too high a cost..."

(Excerpt from Amazon.com)

And now, commence the interview!
Where are you from?


I was born in Greenwich, Connecticut and lived there until third grade when we moved to West Newbury, Massachusetts.


Tell us your latest news?



I’m working on my 2 nd novel. It’s going to be a different genre than my first (psychological thriller/paranormal). Also, I’m almost done with my sophomore year at UMASS. I’m majoring in English.


When and why did you begin writing?



I first got involved with writing in 6th grade.  My teacher assigned the class a four page mystery story to write, but when it came time to hand in my work, I had a 25 page sci-fi story instead.  That's when I knew I loved to write. Of course, I didn’t think I’d ever write a book. It wasn’t until I looked at other accomplished authors that I really decided I should write a full length novel.


When did you first consider yourself a writer?


I considered myself a writer once my manuscript for Barking Madness was complete.


What inspired you to write your first book?


Werewolves are my favorite movie monster, and I wanted to write something involving them.  A large combination of things inspired me to write Barking Madness. I had the idea for the story years ago, and it was eating at me, so I really wanted to put it down on paper to finally get it off my mind. My teachers in high school inspired me the most, though. If it wasn’t for their support, I don’t think I would have started writing. I also drew a lot of inspiration from young adult authors like Stephenie Meyer and Christopher Paolini. Their novels really sent my imagination for a ride.


Do you have a specific writing style?


I’m experimenting now, so I wouldn’t say that I have a writing style yet.


How did you come up with the title?


Once I wrote the words in the text, I knew I had my title. Barking Madness actually has a double meaning. One for the story revolving around a werewolf, and two for the character Rosetta. She's pretty much insane. It took me a while to come up with the name, but once I did, I knew it was the one.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?


There’s a lot going on my book, but I would say, just don’t be an jerk I guess. Quite a few of the main characters were nasty and self absorbed, and they make my generation look really bad. It should take no effort to be nice.


How is your book different from others like it?


The voices, the technology, and the characters are all real to the current generation. The dialogue and the stress that the teenagers go through are very authentic. I wrote this as a senior in high school, just 18 years old, and not someone much older. High School age readers will be able to relate.


How much of the book is realistic?


The characters, town, and high school are based loosely on real people and places that have all been in my life.


Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?


Here and there. I don’t want to go into too much detail. A character in my book commits suicide, and there isn’t an explanation. A few reviewers had a problem with that. Sometimes bad things happen, and you never know why.


What books have most influenced your life most?


Pillars of the Earth blew me away, and it is in my top 3 list. Lord of the Flies is a book I’ve read 5 times, and Twilight because it’s a YA book that is paranormal and also included adolescent problems. Twilight had a huge audience. It occurred to me that a good story can be both a coming of age and paranormal. 


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?



I’ve been more inspired to write because of movies than books. When I’m not reading, and as an English major I read a ton, I’m watching movies. Having that said that, my Top 3 favorite directors are: Steven Spielberg, Sam Raimi, and Quentin Tarentino.


What book are you reading now?


I just finished Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun, and I’m currently reading Vietnamerica by GB Tran


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?


None really. Clive Cussler is a favorite.


What are your current projects?


 I’m working on my second book now. It has a lot more going on and is a different genre than the one I just finished, so it’s going to take me more time. I hope it surpasses my first novel in quality.


Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members?


Stevin Batholomew and Todd Ruland were teachers at Pentucket High School that showed support and inspired me tremendously.


Do you see writing as a career? 


Yes. Being an author is exactly what I want to do with my life.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest


book?


I would edit down more of what I had written. When I look back, there is a scene that stands out in my head, and I would definitely take it out.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I consider myself an imaginative person.  When I was little, I used to always play pretend with my friends, and I would always make up the game because my friends liked when I did. Making up games eventually turned into making up stories. In High School, I began writing down ideas.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


I find scene description and describing the setting to be the most challenging.


Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their


work?


Clive Cussler because I enjoy his adventures. His storytelling is really great. That’s what I hope to accomplish.


Who designed the cover?


I searched the internet for ebook designers and when I looked at the work that The Cover Collection www.thecovercollection.com did, I found something that worked for me. The creepy coverart of the masked man is perfect as there is a masked man in my story that haunts the main character, Rosetta.


What was the hardest part of writing your book?


Putting in the time. I wrote Barking Madness during my senior year of high school. At times, it was very challenging.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


I learned a lot of what does and does not work.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


Write the story that you want to write, whether someone will read it or not. Put your heart into it, and never mind suggestions. Write it down first in its entirety before you edit it. Only then will you know

what works and what doesn’t work. Trust me; it’s easier to work out the kinks once your story is fully
written. Trying to fix it before it’s done will get you nowhere.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


I hope you enjoy my book.


Where can we contact you / find you?


ryanhillwn@gmail.com


facebook: RyanHill (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009773599449&fref=ts)


facebook: RyanHillAuthor (https://www.facebook.com/RyanHillAuthor/?fref=ts)


Twitter: RyanHillAuthor (https://twitter.com/RyanHillAuthor)


Do you have any links to where we can buy your book?


On Amazon


At Barnes & Noble Booksellers


Thanks so much to Ryan for taking time to write his book and to be featured on my blog!

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *