The Wrath & The Dawn Book Review

6:27 PM

Author : Renée Adieh
Publisher : Putnam (Penguin)
Total Page Numbers : (Hardcover) 388
Genre : YA / Diverse / Retelling
ISBN-13 : 978-0399171611
Rating (Out of 5 Stars) : 5

Summary of Book:
Sharhzad lives in a mysterious world. One where a prince marries each night, only to execute his bride at dawn. One where her friend, Shiva, was chosen as one of those brides… And dies. One where Sharhzad volunteers to become Caliph Khalid’s next bride. One where she survives the next dawn, and one where nothing is as it seems.

What I Thought:
The Wrath And The Dawn (TWATD) was a truly amazing retelling of A Thousand And One Nights. The characters were complex, the descriptions were delicious, and the story itself was magical. TWATD was a story of love, and mystery, and sword fighting and all these abstract nouns in my head. Sharhzad is a total badass and I loved reading from her POV. Khalid was so adorable even when you didn’t know why he was killing his brides. The relationship that Sharhzad builds with Khalid over the course of the story was mostly believable although it was a little bit insta-lovey. It was like a poem. Everything had meaning, Adieh didn’t add anything that didn’t belong there. On a different subject the food. The food descriptions were so vivid that I could fully imagine what everything looked like.
The Persian culture spread throughout the book was so interesting to read about. I’m going to say this now: THERE IS A GLOSSARY AT THE BACK FOR THE ITALICIZED WORDS!!! I didn’t realize it until the very end and I would have understood a whole lot more if I had been using it while I was reading. The diversity of this book is very intriguing. I’ve never read a story set in the Middle Eastern area of the world, nothing exotic. Now the next section will be in white so just highlight over it to read spoilers!
Okay this spoiler section is going to be packed with my favorite quotes because I had A LOT OF THEM.  “What are you doing to me, you plague of a girl?” he whispered.
“If I’m a plague, then you should keep your distance, unless you plan on being destroyed.” The weapons still in her grasp, she shoved against his chest.
“No.” His hands dropped to her waist. “Destroy me.”  OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I KNOW RIGHT I KNOW CALM DOWN. “Shazi, I prefer the color blue to any other. The scent of lilacs in your hair is a source of constant torment. I despise figs. Lastly, I will never forget, all the days of my life, the memories of last night—For nothing, not the sun, not the rain, not even the brightest star in the darkest sky, could begin to compare to the wonder of you.
Khalid.” This letter killed me. It KILLED ME. I was sitting here in my comfy bed grinning like a maniac. “I love you, a thousand times over. And I will never apologize for it.” AND THEN HE BURNS IT. :’( Khalid you adorable bastard I love you.
Tariq people, he made me mad. He needed to give it up, I understand where he was coming from but boy, was he annoying. I’m afraid that in the next book it’s going to get messed up and turned into a love triangle ARGHHH!!!
The little bits of magic throughout the story were nice touches. Ya. Cool.
Well I think I’ve calmed down a bit after writing that spoiler section, whew. This book severely scarred me in the best and worst possible ways. The love was great and the plot was great and everything was so great!!! I seriously recommend this book. It’s diverse and lovable and squeal-worthy.

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

  1. I love books that have descriptions of food in them, as it is often left out. The Wrath and the Dawn looks like a very interesting retelling (as well as its sequel) and just put a hold down at my library. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWATD is an amazing retelling! It's like falling for your enemy, but it goes deeper than that. I loved the setting and the culture it brought, I hope you'll get a chance to read it soon and that you'll love it as much as I did!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *